• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
supersub14

Mot Failure - Help!

supersub14

Hey all, my '92 205 1.9 GTI failed mot tonight there.

The rear brakes were showing a difference of 47% and the tester said that the most your allowed is 30%. How do i fix this? Im not an expert mechanic but i know my way round the haynes manual lol :wacko:

He said the handbrake was fine and it only happened with the foot brake. He mentioned something about a adjusting a regulator?? If i bled the brakes would it make a difference?

Thanks in advance for any advice B)

welshpug

what actual figures did you get?

most common problem is that the compensator on the strongest side has gone open circuit and is not restricting the flow of fluid.

Baz

Compensator would be my guess too!

supersub14

the sheets in the car. ill check it when i get home from work

RonnieG

Thats not a mile away and rear brake im-balance can be a nightmare to trace/resolve !

I'd be tempted to bleed the rear brakes & swap the passenger & driver rear wheels round then try and just ask the MOT tester if he could just test them for you to see if you've done enough for them to pass before delving any deeper......

supersub14

In the brake Test section:

motut7.png

does this mean anything to anyone??

supersub14

UPDATE......

Bled the brakes and took it for retest. Didnt make the slightest bit of difference when the guy tested them. Still produced a reading of 47% :lol:

Luckily enough the guy liked the car and gave the hand brake a wee touch when he was testing them lol

Passed with flying colours :D

Jammy bas....

djinuk

lol, another 205 passes a dodgy mot, game on lol

DamirGTI

Duff compensator (theres two of them on 1.9 system ..) , partially clogged rubber flexi pipe , or sticky hand brake mechanism (a bit unusual for cars with rear disc brakes , but i've had brake imbalance because sticky handbrake mechanism on a 1.6 car , with drum brakes ..)

Rgs ! :lol:

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

Sign in to follow this