• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonnie205

Steering Racks

jonnie205

I have just tried a 306 gti6 and xsara vts rack on a 205 and both bolt straight on. Now i know the xsara rack is quicker than the 306 one but does anybody know how the 205 rack compares in quickness to the 306 and xsara rack. I dont have a 205 pas rack but i rekon these xsara vts racks will be the quickest and the way to go on 205 track cars.

welshpug

quick rearch on 306gti6.com shows that gti6 uses a 2.9 turn rack (limited by a 1/3rd on one side by the ram) and the Xsara VTS has a 2.4 turn rack!

jonnie205

yes but that is lock to lock, maybe one rack has more lock than another? i dont know, what is a 205 pas rack? 2.9?

welshpug

not sure what you mean by that?

Rob Thomson

Fewer turns lock to lock could equate to less movement at the wheels, rather than more-steering-per-turn.

As an example, my previous Mondeo had ~3 turns lock-to-lock. My current Mondeo (also a Mk2) has ~2.6 turns lock-to-lock. But that's not because the steering's 'faster', but because it's got stupid fat tyres they've had to limit the rack's movement to stop the tyres hitting the bodywork. Which is annoying.

However, I've certainly read before that the 205/309/306 racks are essentially the same whereas the VTS has a higher ratio rack of the same type.

Edited by Rob Thomson

jonnie205

yes thats what i meant rob, anyways can anybody quote a figure for a 205 pas rack lock to lock?

Rob Thomson

99.9999% it's 2.9 turns.

Rippthrough

If the Gti6 had the same lock as the VTS it would equate to about 3.4 turns lock-to-lock, so you can see how much faster the VTS one is.

VisaGTi16v

I had a VTS and it was certainly quick. So it literally bolt straight onto the subframe? Track rods are all the same I think? Which lower column bit do you need though as the 205 pas one is different to the non pas I think?

Rom

According to this Thread the PAS rack is 3.2 turns. Which sounds about right with out going to check mine !

You need the lower shaft from the PAS car also, as its a different length to the non PAS. Im not sure what you would need if using a rack from a 306 or Xsara though.

28CRAIG

I have 2.9 pas and 3.2 manual and 2.7 Quaife in my head but not 100% sure all 205 racks.

joey

205 manual rack is 3.8 turns lock to lock.

PAS rack is 3.2

this xsara vts one sounds good if it can be fitted without too muc trouble

Alastairh

Is it just VTS's mate? Theres a VTR down the local...

Toddy
I had a VTS and it was certainly quick. So it literally bolt straight onto the subframe? Track rods are all the same I think? Which lower column bit do you need though as the 205 pas one is different to the non pas I think?

Track rods are all different lengths on 205/306/xsara vts racks you will also need the universal joint from xsara/306, and to swap or shorten the track rods on either 306 or xsara to fit to a 205.

gti_al

Does anyone know how the other 306/xsara steering racks compare? Most of the 205s sold here didn't have PAS, so it is a bit hard to get bits to retro fit it. Newer PSA stuff is heaps easier to get though

Edited by gti_al

gti_al

Is there any chance 405 racks are at all compatible as well?

taylorspug
Does anyone know how the other 306/xsara steering racks compare? Most of the 205s sold here didn't have PAS, so it is a bit hard to get bits to retro fit it. Newer PSA stuff is heaps easier to get though

Just fit the Pas rack without the power assistance connected.

After looking into this a while back its my understanding that the rack bolts on with the xsara UJ, and then you would need to use suitable 205-length arms.

EDIT: In all honesty i did all this research with a view to getting one of these racks for my car, then the Gaz group buy came around and i completely forgot to actually buy one! :lol::ph34r:

Edited by taylorspug

gti_al
Just fit the Pas rack without the power assistance connected.

After looking into this a while back its my understanding that the rack bolts on with the xsara UJ, and then you would need to use suitable 205-length arms.

EDIT: In all honesty i did all this research with a view to getting one of these racks for my car, then the Gaz group buy came around and i completely forgot to actually buy one! :D:ph34r:

I was talking to someone about this tonight, and the difference between the 205 racks doesn't seem that significant.

If the xsara is as quick as mentioned here, that seems far more worthwhile. Can someone do it and report back......... :lol:

saveloy

205 non-PAS: 3.7 turns

205 PAS: 3.2 turns

205 quick rack: 2.7 turns

I'd say that anything less than 2.7 turns for a road car will be very pointy. The quick rack is fantastic and going back to a std car makes it feel a bit cumbersome.

Saying that, 2.4 and PAS may work well (the shorter wheel base concerns me), given tht you won't be wrestling with a manual ack if you overcook things.

gti_al

I'm sure it would take time to adapt to, but the manual rack kills it for me. I would go to 205 PAS, but it isn't that much different. 2.4 would be much more interesting and like the others cars i drive. They are very different cars, but the 205 feels really cumbersome as it is on the road.

Does the xsara use an electric pump?

easypug
I'm sure it would take time to adapt to, but the manual rack kills it for me. I would go to 205 PAS, but it isn't that much different. 2.4 would be much more interesting and like the others cars i drive. They are very different cars, but the 205 feels really cumbersome as it is on the road.

Does the xsara use an electric pump?

No, it uses a belt driven pump.

platty

Glad I caught this thread before I got rid of the donor VTS. More bits to come off.

monty69

Im using a 2.5 turn xsara rack at the mo with saxo leky steering. The xsara/306 uj is needed,needs modding to fit to upper column. 205 square drive uj is similar but the pivot point would be in wrong position

foreigner
yes thats what i meant rob, anyways can anybody quote a figure for a 205 pas rack lock to lock?

jonnie205

The quicker the better with racks, a xsara rack with pas working would be the ultimate realy, i think the 205 pas lower column uj goes straight onto a xsara rack