• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonnie205

Steering Racks

monty69

my 205 ps rack was spline and at least 3.5 turns, xsara was square drive.

monty69

If you have an iron block i wouldnt reccomend 2.5 turn ps rack without power steering, ignore trying to be matcho its just too heavy

16v205

Ive got most the racks mentioned above in the garage, the xsara vts rack is waiting for me to fit it with pas and it is 2.4 turns lock to lock. The standard 205 pas rack is 3.2 turns.

The UJ off the vts rack is very different to the UJ on the 205. Can you remember roughly what you did to modify it to fit Monty?

Rich

Rippthrough
If you have an iron block i wouldnt reccomend 2.5 turn ps rack without power steering, ignore trying to be matcho its just too heavy

I've got the 2.4 turn on my 306 and it's fine, get some more weetabix down you!

gti_al
I've got the 2.4 turn on my 306 and it's fine, get some more weetabix down you!

Is it stupid heavy? Does it compare to a manual 205 rack?

nick

What about a 106/Saxo rack? that would have all the electric power steering pump and gubbins already on.

Nick

welshpug

they fit to the shell in a totally different way, there isn't a subframe and the rack is attached to the bulkhead, the PAS gubbins is the only bits usable from them.

nick

Aah, righto... didn't realise that.

Nick

monty69
Ive got most the racks mentioned above in the garage, the xsara vts rack is waiting for me to fit it with pas and it is 2.4 turns lock to lock. The standard 205 pas rack is 3.2 turns.

The UJ off the vts rack is very different to the UJ on the 205. Can you remember roughly what you did to modify it to fit Monty?

Rich

Its needs a bit cutting of top just so there is still a lip. Also needs the flat(at top) extending by grinding/machining- machining much neater and accurate as the original flat is pressed into the knuckle so not mega thick. Then bout 10mm machining below splines to make it thinner as it will be fitting further into upper column. Offer one up and it all make sense, very simple. There will not be as much splines being clamped- maybe 12mm less, but it cant go anywhere with the flat. The lower xsara pinch bolt is needed.

Found a hard rubber bung in mine, maybe to prevent uj from squashing slightly? anyway i moved this further into uj where clamp bolt now is.

Phillip- i eat loads of cress and weetabix :unsure: I prefer no ps, being used to tu 306s and old minis, but with 195 tyres and 2ltr iron block it was too heavy to drive fast while changing gear, maybe its because i was using a 205 ps rack without the ps gubbins.

Our residentl 306 forum official test pilot drove it (some say he eats children and pets for breakfast, and that he has petrol in his veins- all we know is he's called the midlife crisis )and his words were "well... its had a maserati quattroporte but sort that steering out dave- its too heavy. It feels fine until you turn then it just loads and trys to straighten up.

Alan_M

I've got a converted 2.5 205 manual rack, and it is heavy. This is with a plate diff too.

The initial turn in is easy, its only once you really use the lock it gets difficult. Helped revatilise my 205 at Ring recently.

Could be interested in an electric assisted steering conversion though.

marksorrento205

Im looking at putting a gti6 engine in my 205 once its rebuilt, now im thinking of going down the gti6 steering rack as well so that I can rob all the pas pipes from the 306 and run the standard gti6 pas pump. Im led to belive the pressure pipe from the pump is a different fitting on the 306 where it connects to the rack than the 205 rack? Or I would just rob the pipe from the gti6 pump and connect it straight on to my 205 rack. Any help would be ace. Also was thinking about going down the route of gti6 hubs and shafts - is it worth it?

evojay71

I've just read this thread with interest,I have a pas rack on my road rally car and it's hardly any better than the manual rack. So can anyone tell me if the xsara vts alot lighter to use??? And worth putting on?? Thanks

jonnie205

for a road rally cra run the xsara rack with the power assitance, this would be the ultimate setup

evojay71

I have 2 further questions to ask?? Are all the xsara power racks the same ratio and identicle to the vts?? Also a mate of mine is scrapping a belingo van,would this rack fit on a 205??? Need to get something sorted out fast as mine is pretty well shot after a road rally on saturday night.

eob

Are the 306/Xsara racks a slightly heavier construction than the 205? Always felt 205 steering racks were a weak point...

monty69

Most 306/xsara ps racks are 3.2, i could have sworn my 205 ps rack was more than 3.2. Some late 16v vtr may be 2.5 not sure?

taylorspug
Im looking at putting a gti6 engine in my 205 once its rebuilt, now im thinking of going down the gti6 steering rack as well so that I can rob all the pas pipes from the 306 and run the standard gti6 pas pump. Im led to belive the pressure pipe from the pump is a different fitting on the 306 where it connects to the rack than the 205 rack? Or I would just rob the pipe from the gti6 pump and connect it straight on to my 205 rack. Any help would be ace. Also was thinking about going down the route of gti6 hubs and shafts - is it worth it?

You can just rob the pressure PAS pipe from the GTI6 and put it straight on the 205 PAS rack, it all fits like a glove tbh (which suprised me!). :)

marksorrento205

Thats spot on thanks.

Guest mrtcotton

All very confusing.

So, i have an 89 309 Gti with PAS as standard.

After re-building my Tran X im not happy with steering for rally standards and i want to service/overhaul/replace.

What would be my best options?

What will fit and is easily obtainable?

Would electric be any benefit?

Thanks.

:P

Edited by mrtcotton

foreigner

I agree to it if you going slow when going fast it's ok. When I had 205 with 1.9td which is iron block it was very heavy parking but when driving it was ok, you just get used it.

gti_al

Anyone made any progress on this? I haven't, but am thinking about it again.

For the record, it appears 405 racks are 3.1 turns lock to lock, so not a huge improvement. They look similar, but i'm not sure if they will work

jackherer

I fitted a Xsara VTS rack (2.4 turns) to a 205 and it was too heavy with no PAS, it loaded up way too quickly and in tight low speed turns you would be holding back as it felt like you couldn't wind enough lock on quickly enough (you could but it felt unsettling).

I then fitted a 106 electric PAS pump and its now absolutely amazing, I didn't think 205GTI steering feel could be improved, and especially not by fitting PAS! I've since sourced a few more racks for all my mates 205s as once you've tried it you can't go back, dare I say it a 'normal' 205GTI feels like a tractor afterward :P:o

Rob Thomson
I've since sourced a few more racks for all my mates 205s

You don't want to sell one of those, do you?!

gti_al
I fitted a Xsara VTS rack (2.4 turns) to a 205 and it was too heavy with no PAS, it loaded up way too quickly and in tight low speed turns you would be holding back as it felt like you couldn't wind enough lock on quickly enough (you could but it felt unsettling).

I then fitted a 106 electric PAS pump and its now absolutely amazing, I didn't think 205GTI steering feel could be improved, and especially not by fitting PAS! I've since sourced a few more racks for all my mates 205s as once you've tried it you can't go back, dare I say it a 'normal' 205GTI feels like a tractor afterward :):rolleyes:

Well done. It is good that somebody actually made it work! Are you willing to disclose what was involved in fitting the rack...?

Capn. Pugwash

So it sounds like the combo of Xsara VTS rack with 106 electric pump is the go :D

Anyone want to ship a few out to us in Oz?!! :rolleyes::)

I'm very very keen to try this on my tarmac rally car!