• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt-k

Which Brake Pads Are Best? For Less ££s

matt-k

Hi, ive just fitted some new front 1.6 discs to my motor and need to get some new pads, i used to have standard ones fitted but got alot of brake fade from them which always ruined the fun. I was going to fit green stuff pads after hearing good reports about them but they cost quite alot and wondered if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative which are still up to the job or a good website where they dont cost so much.

Cheers, Matt.

shalmaneser

Greenstuff pads have a pretty bad reputation. Try Pagid or Mintex would be my suggestion.

matt-k

In what way are they bad? Arnt pads with ceramic in them better than standard pads?

Rippthrough
In what way are they bad? Arnt pads with ceramic in them better than standard pads?

Depends how they're made, I've had two very bad experiences with green stuff - one of which resulted in the entire friction material crumbling off within a few hundred miles of fitting.

Mintex 1144's, Ferodo DS2500, or Pagid RS4-2 are all good, well proven and well regarded pads.

munster

another vote for Mintex. Especially if your on a budjet.

projectpug

Green arn't ceramic there sintered pads, i found them ok but wear fairly quickly. I would go with ds2500 or mintex 1144 for fast road/light track or ds3000's for track use however not much feel from ds3000's.

Jrod

I've used 1144, ds2500 and green stuff. Greenstuff were s*ite and faded, now using red and for there price to performance ratio, I will be sticking with redstuff.

Baz

Ferodo premier's for the price, can't beat them. Available from Halford's and stand up to a fair bit! Silly cheap with a trade card too. :blush:

matt-k

Thanks for stopping me waisting money on Greenstuff! I see a few of you recomend Mintex 1144s, but Baz definatly has me interested in the ferodo premiers. I generally just use my car on the road but how would these hold up on a track day?

Cheers, Matt.

Tom Fenton

As others have said, Greenstuff are crap, I bought a set once but will never buy them again. Mintex 1144 or Ferodo DS2500 everytime. Ferodo premier are a decent pad for road and a bit of spirited road driving but probably not up to the job of track work in my experience.

Stu

I *think* the problem with the Greenstuff is lacklustre quality control, some sets are ok, others downright dangerous.

The Ferrodo Premier stuff are pretty good as a budget alternative, but i also really rate OE Bendix pads, ive done two trackdays on my set with no bother so far! £25 for a set for the '6 calipers, but i might swap across to a set of DS2500's or 1144's when these bite the dust.

Baz
Thanks for stopping me waisting money on Greenstuff! I see a few of you recomend Mintex 1144s, but Baz definatly has me interested in the ferodo premiers. I generally just use my car on the road but how would these hold up on a track day?

Cheers, Matt.

My 1600's (1.9 calipers) done a couple of sprints, a few track sessions and about 15 laps of the Nurburgring with only ever slight fade on the 'ring, for the £15 they were i'm absolutely chuffed to be frank. DS2500's would be the next step.

Anthony

What calipers are you running with those 1.6 disks? If you're still using 1.6 calipers, I'd swap them to 1.9 calipers first as that usually reaps a big improvement.

Certainly in my experience, 1.9 calipers with Ferodo Premier pads will take pretty much all the abuse you can throw at them on the road, and will stand up to a small amount of track abuse OK as well. If you need more than that, Ferodo DS2500's would be where I'd put my money - they're a bit more expensive that Greenstuff, but they work awesomely on road and track and seem to last well too (mine have done around 23k miles now including several trackdays and trips to the 'Ring, and they've still life left in them)

As others have said, EBC Greenstuff seem to have some questionable quality control or they keep changing the pad compounds, as you get sets that are pretty good, and you get others that don't work from cold, fade terribly, and leave deposits on the disks leading to excessive brake judder

sss_205GTI

The 1.9 caliper upgrade - is that a straight over swap? Do you need bigger diam discs? (sorry to hi-jack :) )

I had my front discs/pads done in June and already melted the pads - the fade is dangerous!

Anthony
The 1.9 caliper upgrade - is that a straight over swap? Do you need bigger diam discs? (sorry to hi-jack :) )

I had my front discs/pads done in June and already melted the pads - the fade is dangerous!

Retain the current disks, just change the calipers, pads, and caliper mounting bolts.

matt-k
Retain the current disks, just change the calipers, pads, and caliper mounting bolts.

I was going to ask the same question! I never new you could do a straight swap with calipers that is good news.

Thanks for all the input lads you have more than answered my question. Im going to go with the Ferodo premiers for now and when i upgrade to the 1.9 calipers ill try the ds2500s.

Cheers, Matt. :)

James_R

As said EBC yellows are getting good reviews too.

Jsut make sure you check and grease the sliders on the 1.9 calipers had a couple bind and cause odd braking

sss_205GTI

So what makes the 1.9 calipers better?

James_R

more convential design, horse shoe pad with a yoke and then the caliper on sliders.

1.6 brakes are basically the rear disc brake caliper without the handbrake mech, caliper and pad holder is one piece, tried reversing and hitting the brakes in the 1600? get a big clonk from the front? hmm that's the f**ked calipers.

Pics would explian better none to hand though.

sss_205GTI

Arhhh thankyou James, thats all i needed to know :)

shalmaneser

I just upgraded to 1.9 calipers and they are much, much better. not squirming under braking at all, and a hell of a lot more solid. highly recommended upgrade.

Reckon they've got a bit more 'bite' over the 1.6's too, although it might be the goodridge hoses and new 5.1 oil i put in/on at the same time. That's going from 1.6 greenstuff pads to s*itty halfrauds 1.9 pads!

Sign in to follow this