• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cherry_red

1.9 Engine Problem - Big End? Knocking Noise

cherry_red

I have just noticed a knocking noise coming from my engine at first I thought it was the exhaust fowling on the bulkhead, as I had just put on a magnex complete system, but checked it all over and its defiantly coming from the engine.

It gets worse as you increase the revs.

Sounds a bit like a tractor.

It doesn’t sound like a tappet noise though - more like deeper knock.

The rev range seems to pull okish up to 5000 then starts to slip and go jerky.

Does this sound like big end bearings, as it’s definitely a knocking noise - sounds a lot like a diesel on cold start.

My engine has covered 160k so was thinking if I should replace the engine as rebuilding the bottom end and replacing bearings and what not on a 160k engine seems like a lot of bother.

Any suggestions?

davey sprocket
I have just noticed a knocking noise coming from my engine at first I thought it was the exhaust fowling on the bulkhead, as I had just put on a magnex complete system, but checked it all over and its defiantly coming from the engine.

It gets worse as you increase the revs.

Sounds a bit like a tractor.

It doesn’t sound like a tappet noise though - more like deeper knock.

The rev range seems to pull okish up to 5000 then starts to slip and go jerky.

Does this sound like big end bearings, as it’s definitely a knocking noise - sounds a lot like a diesel on cold start.

My engine has covered 160k so was thinking if I should replace the engine as rebuilding the bottom end and replacing bearings and what not on a 160k engine seems like a lot of bother.

Any suggestions?

Did you disturb/replace the manifold/manifold gaskets?? A blow at the top end of the exhaust can be pretty noisy and would also affect the running.

cherry_red
Did you disturb/replace the manifold/manifold gaskets?? A blow at the top end of the exhaust can be pretty noisy and would also affect the running.

I replaced the manifold gaskets and studs and cant see any exhaust gases leaking, I made sure its nice and tight and not vibrating or fouling on bulkhead. have posted a video on youtube sound quality isnt great but near enough.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DuyrLZqwokE

davey sprocket
I replaced the manifold gaskets and studs and cant see any exhaust gases leaking, I made sure its nice and tight and not vibrating or fouling on bulkhead. have posted a video on youtube sound quality isnt great but near enough.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DuyrLZqwokE

I can't see how changing your exhaust can have caused your engine to fail!?

Or was it doing this before??

I'd still be looking at the manifold after seeing your video.

Sure you got the gaskets in the right way round??

Unless it was doing it before, I'd suggest it's likely to be a result of what you've been doing to the car/replacing etc. I have managed to get gaskets the wrong way roung and it made a racket given some revs.

cherry_red
Unless it was doing it before, I'd suggest it's likely to be a result of what you've been doing to the car/replacing etc. I have managed to get gaskets the wrong way roung and it made a racket given some revs.

Will take off manifold and check gaskets are all ok then swap them round. Wasn't sure what way to put them so put rough side against the manifold and smooth against the head. Still reckon its not the exhaust though as the noise seems to be deep within the engine.

stutto

I would best describe the noise when my bottom end went as ticking similar to a 'football rattle' sound that got louder with increased revs. It did sound as if it came from within the engine.

I was 90% sure until I bit the bullet and took the sump off, it was obvious then.

Fingers crossed for you, mine went about this time of year and I don't have a garage - cue bad weather!

Edit: probably a better description as it was two years ago!

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...=64483&st=0

Edited by stutto

cherry_red
I would best describe the noise when my bottom end went as ticking similar to a 'football rattle' sound that got louder with increased revs. It did sound as if it came from within the engine.

I was 90% sure until I bit the bullet and took the sump off, it was obvious then.

Fingers crossed for you, mine went about this time of year and I don't have a garage - cue bad weather!

Edit: probably a better description as it was two years ago!

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...=64483&st=0

Did yours sound like this? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DuyrLZqwokE

If you listen carefully you can here a knock like a old diesel on cold start.

I am also unfortunate not to have a well lit heated garage this time of year, all my work has to be carried out on the road on rubbish axel stands, which barely hold the car.

Think i will have to take it to a garage tomorrow and see what they say before i start taking things apart.

stutto

/\ /\

I don't remember mine making that much noise at idle, but when you rev it at around 21s it made me cringe a little bit - I think it sounds very similar to mine. Please bear in mind it was two years ago!

Will the garage charge you for diagnosis? For the sake of the cost of an oil change I'd recommend getting it up on axle stands and whipping the sump off yourself. I guess that if you strained the engine oil after draining it you might see some copper flakes, but I don't remember seeing any myself until I had the sump off.

cherry_red

Been to two garages now for advice and to see if they could diagnose the problem......They have and its not good! as there could be several things wrong with the bottom end. i.e Loose connecting rods worn bottom end bearings and a few more nasty things with the crankshaft. :(

I will need a new engine basically as rebuilding mine will cost more than a new engine so its not worth it and 160k is alot of miles.

All in all this is pretty bad news for me, as i don't have much money at the moment and wont be able to drive the car really. I am now looking for a decent 1.9 engine to put in my car, will also need someone to put it in for me as i have no work space.

:D

Miles

Take what allot of Garages say with a pinch of salt, The funnyest one I;ve come across was no oil getting to the head, Shame they couldn'e even read the oil pressure guage and light on with a broken oil pump chain which in some way yes no oil was getting to the head, Just forgot to say about the rest of the engine.

Just be wary of any S/H engine unless rebuild recently as most have seen abuse and well in excess of 150k now

cherry_red

I did go to a independent garage with a good trusted mechanic, who took time to look at it without a charge. He did mention that i should really try and get an engine, which has been rebuilt by the seller and not passed on dodgy information i.e 'i think it had a new... and was recond ... but not sure when it was done and don't have any receipts' .

Does anyone know what kind of price i will be looking at for a recently re built 8v standard or tuned?

Also an average fitting charge for labour?

A garage said between £400-£500 in labour charge if i supplied the engine. I thought this seemed like allot as it would be and 8v straight swap not as if I'm having a 16v conversion done.

Any ideas or thoughts much appreciated.

Miles

A 8v is easy to swap, can be done in under 8 hours normally but it depends on any problems you may come across with any older car you never know, Cost wise to swap one over would be £240.00 ish

cherry_red

Well I could just about live with that. So £200 for a decent rebuilt 8v 1.9 engine and £250 for the labour would be £450 in total. Ouch thats going to hurt but i should expect this kind of thing with a 20 year old car.

Anyone out there with a decent rebuilt 8v engine??

Sign in to follow this