• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest dobbo

2 Steps Forward, 1 Step Back. New Misfire

Guest dobbo

The story starts with my alarm playing up back in January. Work commitments meant I didn't have time to play with it so I bought a new car and parked the pug.

At the time the car had run faultlessly for 3 years but just recently was running very rich and getting about 12mpg, and also the diagnostic light was intermittently on - so the alarm wasn't my only problem.

6 months later I decided to get my hands dirty and sort things out. A new water temp sensor was fitted, and the car started back up, still running rich and the light still on. New rotor arm and dizzy cap fitted, car still starts fine but still runs rich and still got the light.

I tested the AFM on a multi-meter and realised it was reading way out so sourced a new one that reads exactly as the guidance here states.

Now the car wouldn't start at all.

- Put the old AFM on, still won't start.

- A quick inspection of the dizzy cap suggested it wasn't fitting right, so I replaced the old one, car still wont start.

- Replaced the ignition module, still wont start.

I'm getting spark but it's weak, so I get a new ignition coil and, drum roll...... she fires instantly. Runs smooth, no rich running smell, and no warning light. I'm SO HAPPY!!!!!

I decide a test drive is in order, it's the first time she has moved in 9 months, so I carefully check the brakes and make off.

New problem, I've now got a severe misfire at 3000 RPM.

So as the title suggests, 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

Old AFM is now FUBAR so I can't go back to that.

Help please! Is it worth replacing the old ignition amplifier?

:)

notamondayfan

if its been sat for a while, try changing plugs and leads.

jimistdt

And maybe try some fresh fuel...

grandos

Ignition module? Did you replace the old one with a new bosch item? If not try the old unit.

Super Josh

Ignition module? Did you put some new thermal paste on the heatsink side of the module when you replaced it?

Josh

Guest dobbo

Thanks for the advice chaps! This morning I replaced the cheap ebay ignition module with the original bosch one with a squidge of heatsink paste and she now starts and runs smooth as silk.

Now I need new brakes all round, new headlight units and bulbs, new driving lights and a host of other bits to pass the MOT and I'll be back on the road in my 205, woo!

:rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this