• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidt83

Driveshaft Oil Seal Confusion

Guest davidt83

Hi,

I did a search and found some useful stuff, and thought I'd give fitting the new driveshaft seals a go.. but now I'm not sure if I'm missing a part or something on the gearbox.

Heres a picture of my driver's side diff housing:-

DSC03380.jpg

Obviously thas a picture after I have removed the old seal, the old seal looked like this:-

DSC03382.jpg

I'm just left with the gap that you can see in the first picture, is there not supposed to be some sort of bearing race or something there? Or do I simply put the new driveshaft seal I have from peugeot (which happens to be almost identical to the one I took out) into the recess?

The reason for me suspecting something else being there, is on the otherside of the diff housing, for the passenger side driveshaft there is something which appears a bit like a bearing race, this is a picture:-

DSC03383.jpg

Is that just the old driveshaft seal there, and I prize that race like thing out? Or do I try and insert the new driveshaft seal I have from peugeot for this side of the diff, over the top of that race looking thing? Heres a picture of the new seal for this side:-

DSC03384.jpg

.... Slightly confused! Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers!

Dave

Edited by davidt83

Jim miami blue gti

Just pop the new seal in mate the bearing race is behind the speedo drive, and you would have to remove the diff casing to remove the race.

Edited by Jim miami blue gti

Ryan

Thats just a plactic cover to protect the lips of the seal while you insert the driveshaft. It comes out together with the rubber seal.

If the new seal doesn't have this protector it's nothing to worry about really.

Guest davidt83

Thanks for the quick response guys, think it all makes sense now, so just to confirm I can put the driver's side seal in without worrying about there not being a protective plastic cover

and then prise the other seal (passenger side) out along with its protective plastic cover and put my new seal in?

DaveK

yea i jst fitted new seals and one of them didnt have the plastic part you're on about. Will work fine dude!

Jim miami blue gti

yep it will be fine.

Veero

I had 2 gearboxes, the one from the BX for my Mi had those plastic cages over and the one off my 1.6 didn't and the new seals didnt either and this had me really confused.

They all come out as 1 piece as said above, wish Id known beforehand :) would have saved me 1/2 hour carefully prizing out the plastic bits doh!

I guess it's an older design maybe.

Veero

Pete C

From your description, your new seals sound the same as the ones I discovered when I changed my driveshafts yesterday :)

By the way, I think you have an oil leak :P

Veero
By the way, I think you have an oil leak :D

Of course I do, it wouldn't be a pug otherwise would it ;)

Well the seals I fitted went in fine and are the correct way round. No oil leaks from my driveshaft seals :D

Veero

Pete C
Of course I do, it wouldn't be a pug otherwise would it :D

Nope, mine seems to have several. Got covered in just about every kind of fluid going when changing the driveshafts yesterday... grease, engine oil, gearbox oil, even PAS fluid!

Edited by Pete C

Sign in to follow this