• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RAF_gti

Steve's Thick Question Of The Day

RAF_gti

So I have to remove the front wing, how do I go about it? There are the obvious bolts on the top but I'm sure there must be 'hidden' bastards a plenty!

thanks!

Steve

Tom Fenton

Ones along the top, two pointing inwards at the front edge behind the bumper, one in the wheelarch pointing backwards, and finally the last one that screws into a clip from inside the car pointing outwards, behind the kick panel in the footwells.

Then after all that if its a genuine wing you'll need a good sharp snap off type knife to cut through all the sealant bonding it onto the car, they take some getting off.

Paintguy

As Tom says, they're not exactly easy to get off, and there's a good chance that you'll have to throw them away afterwards unless you are very careful.

RAF_gti

Ah bugger.

The reason I am taking it off is that one of the bolts that holds the bonnet has sheared. I had planned on taking the wing off and drilling the bolt out but that plan looks like it is doomed now!

Is there any (easy) way of getting the bolt oout do you think?

Steve

Tom Fenton

You should be able to do it by removing the bonnet, take off the scuttle cover and windscreen wiper mechs, and then you can get a battery drill in there.

welshpug

you can't get at the back of those bolts even with the wing off, I managed to drill one out from the scuttle panel, though I don't think you can get at both.

Paintguy

A picture of the area behind the wings:

Bodywork_66.jpg

As you can see, removing them won't really help you :)

RAF_gti

And double bugger!

Thanks for the quick replies, at least it has saved me an afternoon of work for no reason.

Sign in to follow this