• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SweetBadger

Gti6 Front Dampers On 205 - Issues...

SweetBadger

Following on from my Renewing Tired Suspension thread:

I've replaced the rack (not a fun job), both front shocks, the top mount bearings, the top mount rubbers (baker bm fast road ones - excellent service). Plus all pinch bolts.

I haven't been able to give it a propper test yet as I need to get the tracking sorted properly, however the Gti6 dampers seem to work really well and the car feels far tighter than before.

Ride quality is still very good too - you can feel smaller bumps like rumble strips more than before but I htink that's down to the top rubbers.

There's a couple of issues though:

1. Ride height does seem to be affected (still using 205 springs); it's definately riding higher than before, I'm not too fussed but I think I could get away with a 25mm drop on the front now without having to lower the rear. I guess this may settle a bit over time and the top mount rubbers were thicker than the older ones.

DSC00117.jpg

2. Major issue is the drop links fouling on the hub.

I ended up putting the dampers on the wrong side first time round as it was the only way I could see them working without the droplinks fouling (drop link was bloody close to chasis leg though), but the angle of the drop links worried me and after looking on here I figured they were on the wrong sides :D .

Last night I swapped them over and as before the drop links are fouling:

DSC00116.jpg

The passenger side link rubs, but the drivers side one is really bad and if you turn the wheel full lock when it's jacked off the ground the drop link balljoint pops out! :D

DSC00115.jpg

When it's back on wheels they both still foul but don't pop out so it's ok to run but I need to sort this out really.

I noticed in this thread HERE that the drop links in the pics from Gentrix are thinner than the ones I have - where can I get me some of them?

Bit annoying as my drop links seem fine :D but getting thinner ones looks like the cheapest solution.

welshpug

if they pop out they're buggered!!

most of the droplinks I have seen are either thin all the way with a kink, or larger with a waisted section not fat all the way up.

SweetBadger
if they pop out they're buggered!!

most of the droplinks I have seen are either thin all the way with a kink, or larger with a waisted section not fat all the way up.

Oh well, don't feel so bad about buying some new ones now! Though it was a bit odd how it popped in and out fairly easily... Looks like another trip to GSF tomorrow.

These drop links are highly likely to be the original ones fitted as my Gran bought the 205 when it was a year old, then donated it to me and they've never been replaced in that time

welshpug

the ones I bought from GSF some 5 years ago were the thin type, took them off yesterday to do some work and they're still like new :D

AdamP

Here's a picture of my setup with GTi-6 shocks:

th_DSC06014.jpg

No rubbing whatsoever! However I am running 309 wishbones as well.

SweetBadger
Here's a picture of my setup with GTi-6 shocks:

th_DSC06014.jpg

No rubbing whatsoever! However I am running 309 wishbones as well.quote]

Looks like your drop links are thinner than the ones fitted to mine, but the 309 arms probably make more of a difference...

Just had a look online - the GSF links are twice the price of the ECP ones (£9.66)! So looks like i'll be going to ECP instead.

welshpug

if you ask ECP for their better quality stuff, they'll be about the same price as GSF...

then add discount :D never had discount at ECP!

Edited by welshpug

SweetBadger
if you ask ECP for their better quality stuff, they'll be about the same price as GSF...

then add discount ;) never had discount at ECP!

Arghh! Should have taken your advice and gone to GSF ;)

Got 2 droplinks from ECP for 25 quid, they are far thinner in diameter than the ones I've got on at the mo so looked promising for them clearing the hubs, but...

The threaded part on the top ball joint is too bloody thick to go through the hole in the strut!

Are the holes in drop link tabs on Gti6 struts smaller dia than the 205 ones or have I been sold a couple of drop links from a dodgy batch?

Rippthrough

They might have given you some 106 ones, IIRC some of those use an M12 top bolt instead of an M10

welshpug

yup, someone had that issue only last week or so IIRC, take them back! (or drill the droplink tab...)

SweetBadger
yup, someone had that issue only last week or so IIRC, take them back! (or drill the droplink tab...)

Aye, looks like an M12 thread, luckily there's an ECP and GSF about 15mins away from where I work (unfortunately in opposite directions :wub: ) so I can take em back tomorrow...

GLPoomobile

Dunno if it's just an optical illusion, but 2nd pic down in your opening post, it looks like the shock isn't seated in the hub properly. Looks like the locating tab is sitting off centre, resting on the hub. That would explain the high ride height and might also explain your clearance issue if the shock is rotated a few degrees off centre.

SweetBadger
Dunno if it's just an optical illusion, but 2nd pic down in your opening post, it looks like the shock isn't seated in the hub properly. Looks like the locating tab is sitting off centre, resting on the hub. That would explain the high ride height and might also explain your clearance issue if the shock is rotated a few degrees off centre.

The Gti6 dampers have a T locating tab - The vertical bit slots in and the hub butts up to the horizontal bit which is what you can see on the pic. I'm pretty sure they're located properly but I'll double check when I fit the correct drop links...

If I remember correctly the original dampers didn't have a locating tab as such, but had a bulge all the way round that the hub butted up to, and a bump that slotted vertically into the hub.

The original dampers also seemed to go further into the hubs than the new ones... Supose one way of lowering the ride height would be to grind off the horizontal bits of the locating tab which would allow the shock to go further into the hub, not sure how safe it'd be though as the shock would have nothing to stop it going straight through the hub if a bolt ever came loose.

SweetBadger

Ok, well this saga is now over...

Went to ECP and they didn't have any droplinks withthe correct top ball joint so I got a refund and headed to GSF where I picked the correct ones at 45 quid for the pair, ouch! :wub:

These ones are slightly thicker than the ECP ones but still way thinner than the original ones on my car, also came in a fetching silver.

They still catch very slightly on the hubs at full lock, I think grinding a bit off the back of the hubs and taking a little off the drop links would solve this, but to really get around the problem running 309 wishbones would be the best solution.

RossD

I suppose it's too late now, but only last week I picked up 2 Delphi droplinks on ebay for 25 quid plus postage. Very very good quality (As you'd expect from Delphi) and the correct fitment for the 205. Item number: 260419171567.

For the issue with rubbing the hub as you turn the steering, dont grind anything, just space out the top of the droplink with some washers.

Edited by RossD