• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Simes

Oil Catch Tanks

Simes

With the demise of my current inlet (GTI-6) manifold there is now nowhere to blow the crankcase vapours into. This means I now need some sort of catch tank.

Lots of conflicting nonsense on the internet regarding taking the pipe from the rocker cover and shoving that into the catch tank, which frankly I think is rubbish. Along with other combinations which seem to me like pressurising the whole system incorrectly and then blow oil rather unexpectedly everywhere.

My plan:

Take orphaned hose and plug into a vented catch tank where vapour will vanish via a filter.

Leave everything else how it was intended, including leaving the oil filler.

What do you think?

I only want people who have fitted a catch tank to reply and not people who've read something on the internet..........

Thanks

allye

As you say, just make sure the catch tank is very well ventilated and the pipe work is very free flowing to avoid pressure build up. I briefly had one fitted to the TU and the pipe was too small and blew the rocker cover pissing oil all over my engine bay <_<

You can always go dow the pikey route and fit a motorsport grade plastic bottle, or for added pikey a monster can :lol:

Paul_13

I found if you vent the catch tank to atmosphere, you get a bit of mayo build up where the atmospheric air mixes with it. Also in cold weather you'll find alot of condensation in the tank, that is from personal experience by the way. I think the correct way to route it is to intercept the rocker cover oil breather pipe, if that makes sense. Basically you want to catch the crap not vent it to atmosphere as mayo builds up.

allanallen

It would be helpful if you told us what engine your actually using and brief spec?!

Assuming its a gti6 engine, I've simply removed the pipe and gauze that goes between the cam cover and the inlet manifold. Blocked the inlet mani hole and then piped the cam cover to the catch tank. I've left the crankcase breather well alone, as standard it is piped up to the cam cover and through an internal baffle arrangement which means only a very fine vapour comes out of breather.

allye

It would be helpful if you told us what engine your actually using and brief spec?!

As per his sig, Mi16 that was on a 6' inlet, now converting to TB's ;)

allanallen

As per his sig, Mi16 that was on a 6' inlet, now converting to TB's ;)

Unfortunately I can't see signatures :(

In that case I agree with what you initially suggested, simply put your redundant breather to a catch tank.

On my mi the cam cover breather goes to the oil tower/filler as standard, there's then another pipe from the tower to my vented catch tank. The pipe to the tank runs 'uphill' though so any oil can run back into the sump rather than into the catch tank.

Al

engine killer

Unfortunately I can't see signatures :(

In that case I agree with what you initially suggested, simply put your redundant breather to a catch tank.

On my mi the cam cover breather goes to the oil tower/filler as standard, there's then another pipe from the tower to my vented catch tank. The pipe to the tank runs 'uphill' though so any oil can run back into the sump rather than into the catch tank.

Al

I guess I am running a very similar set up as you do, instead I modified the original oil filler cap to have breathers there to release the vapour/pressure.

post-4860-0-12863500-1330399003_thumb.jpg

MiniGibbo

Pipe and can, job done...

SDC10231-1.jpg

harryskid

I have mine piped to a purpose made container, a posh version to the can !

Sign in to follow this